Sunday, February 9, 2014

dumpster discovery

This may seem weird, but I have loved finding old things in someone's trash and re-furbing them since I was probably 12 or 13. It's free, I can make it custom to how I want it and I love having a basically free project to do to improve a room!
I had been wanting to try out this chalk paint craze and see what was so awesome about it. I have been planning on re-doing the particle board dresser/night stand in one of our guest rooms in a dark gray. Well, driving home from work I found a lamp in someone's trash! I forgot to take a before pic, but it looked sorta like this:





















Perfect for a test project before I tried it on the furniture! Plus, the lamp worked, so if it turned out looking good it would be perfect in our guest room.

I'm not sure if I needed to prime it or not, but I spray painted it with primer first (after covering all the electrical stuff with tape)



I then took a DIY recipe I found here for chalk paint and cut it in half and then in half again.
I took a blanket that I wanted my yellow to match to Home Depot and found a swatch that matched and had them mix in their little $2 test cups.
He's such a handsome model!

Soooo, here's the finished product! I borrowed the shade from our living room lamp, so I'm thinking a darker gray shade will look better against the light gray walls... But anyways, now that I tested it on my FREE lamp, I am going to get started on that little black side table (pictured) and the matching dresser!


No comments:

Post a Comment